LAST UPDATED: June 12, 2018
VBS is a public bike-sharing program operated by Vancouver Bike Share Inc., a subsidiary of CycleHop LLC.
Collection of Personal Information
We may, from time to time, collect the following personal information about you:
- information that establishes your identity (for example: name, address, phone number, date of birth, etc.);
- information related to your use of the VBS Program;
- information that you provide on your application for VBS membership or in setting up and managing your VBS account, including information required to confirm and/or establish your eligibility for corporate and community memberships; and
- information about your financial behavior such as your payment history,
(collectively, your “Personal Information”).
We may collect and confirm your Personal Information as part of your application for VBS membership and throughout the term of your VBS membership.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
We may use the Personal Information that we collect from you from time to time for the following purposes:
- to verify your identity or complete a payment transaction that is authorized by you;
- to grant you rights to special memberships, including community and corporate memberships;
- to communicate to you any benefit, feature, service or other information about your VBS membership and the VBS Program;
- to promote VBS related products or services, as well as products or services of sponsors and partners which may be of interest to you;
- to help us better manage the VBS program and your relationship with us;
- to send, deliver or display advertising to you via digital channels (including on-line and email); and
- as otherwise required or permitted by law.
We may disclose your Personal Information from time to time for the following purposes:
- to verify or process your credit or debit card payments in the context of transactions that have been authorized by you;
- to prevent fraud, such as disclosure to credit reporting fraud checking agencies;
- to administer insurance claims; and
- to comply with regulatory, statutory and legal obligations where disclosure is required or otherwise authorized by law.
We may share your Personal Information with regulators, government agencies, public bodies or other entities who have a right to issue requests for your Personal Information. Additionally, if acquired by or merged with another company, your Personal Information that we hold will be one of the assets transferred to such other company.
Third Party Payment Processor
We use a third party payment processing company called Stripe. In collecting payment, Stripe processes your credit card transactions and obtains various information from you, including Personal Information. Stripe provides some or all of the services from systems located within the United States. As such, your credit card and debit card data (“card data”) and Personal Information will be transferred, processed and stored outside of Canada on servers in the United States, and may be subject to disclosure as required by applicable law.
Stripe may also provide us with information such as your name, credit card type, expiration date, and the last four digits of your credit card number. This information is used only to make single payment requests, or to register you for an ongoing membership plan that requires automatic payments in the future.
Your knowledge and consent are required for the collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Information except as required or permitted by applicable law.
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information by contacting Vancouver Bike Share Inc. We may, however, be required to continue to use and disclose your Personal Information for certain contractual and legal obligations.
Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
We do not use or disclose your Personal Information for any purpose other than the purpose for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required or permitted by applicable law. We retain your Personal Information only as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was to be used and disclosed.
Accuracy/Correction of Personal Information
We keep your Personal Information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary and reasonably practical for the purposes for which it is to be used. It is your responsibility to inform us of any changes to your Personal Information that occur during the course of your membership. You may make correction requests to correct inaccuracies in your Personal Information. If such a request is made, we will correct the Personal Information or annotate your file to indicate that the correction request was made.
Security and Safeguarding your Personal Information
Collection Through Our Website
Communication and CASL
We may communicate with you in various ways, including by telephone, email, your VBS member account or mail, using the contact information you have provided. If we are communicating with you by phone, we may record calls for quality assurance.
Upon registering to become a VBS member, you must expressly agree or disagree to receive Commercial Electronic Messages (“CEM”) from us. CEMs include emails, messages to social networking accounts and text messages. If you agree, you may still withdraw your consent to receive CEMs from us at any time by unsubscribing using the process provided in the electronic message itself, or by contacting us.
VBS Privacy Officer